2019-20 Preschool scholarship form
All Lake Superior School District Preschool options are Parent Aware 4 Star Rated and include
- 5 hours a week for children who are 3 on September 1st. Donna Blomberg is the teacher at William Kelley School in Silver Bay and Ann Carlson is the teacher in Two Harbors. Our goal is to build social skills, instill a love of learning and to have fun. Children must be toilet trained.
- Silver Bay Monday & Wednesday 1-3:30 PM
- Two Harbors Monday & Wednesdays 12:45-3:15 PM
- 12 hours per week for children who are 4 on September 1st and will be entering kindergarten the next fall. Donna Blomberg is the teacher at William Kelley School in Silver Bay and Ann Carlson is the teacher in Two Harbors.Our goal in preschool is to instill a love of learning, build skills for kindergarten and to have FUN!
- Silver Bay Monday, Wednesday & Thursday 7:45-11:45 AM
- Two Harbors Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday 8:00-11:00 AM
- 16 hours per week for children who are 3 or 4 on September 1st. This blended class is a collaborative effort with children enrolled through Head Start and Community Ed Preschool. This is a family based program and is taught by Jean Farleigh, an AEOA Head Start teacher at Minnehaha Elementary in Two Harbors. In addition to education, other family resources are available such as fuel assistance, employment services, counseling, medical and dental provisions.
- Two Harbors Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday 8:00 AM – noon
All of our Preschool sites are Parent Aware 4 Star Rated. For additional information: http://parentaware.org. The blended classroom with AEOA is also licensed as a MN Rule Childcare Center.
Limited (ONE WAY) Transportation is available by application at no cost for qualifying families. Please contact our offices for more information; bus application is included with the preschool application below.
Preschool Contact numbers:
For more information call
- Community Education in Two Harbors (218) 834-8201 ext. 8230
- Silver Bay (218) 226-4437 ext. 8137
- Head Start:218-834-8221, ext 8449
Need Financial Help for Tuition?
Option One: Pathway I Early Learning Scholarships
Community Education Preschool is a Parent Aware 4 star rated program and eligible for Pathway I Early Learning Scholarships, a statewide program overseen by the Minnesota Department of Education. This program currently provides financial support up to $7,500 per year to families to help pay for quality child care and early education programs in order to help their children get ready for school. Pathway I scholarships cover the entire cost of Preschool.
To apply for Pathway 1 Early Learning Scholarships through Northland Foundation, download and print the current application (when it is available, typically on or before July 1), at www.northlandfdn.org/special-initiatives/index.php To avoid delay or denial, make sure you are using the current application. See the Northland Foundation website www.northlandfdn.org or call 218-260-2736 or 1-800-433-4045 for further instructions. Complete and return the original Early Learning Scholarship application and documentation to Northland Foundation, 202 W Superior Street, Suite 610, Duluth, MN 55802. Families may use their Pathway I—Early Learning Scholarship at any eligible child care or early education program in Minnesota participating in Parent Aware.
Option Two: District Scholarships
Income and other factors are considered for eligibility. Financial assistance may be a full or partial scholarship. Additional paperwork will be needed after scholarships are awarded. You will be contacted to complete additional requirements. School Readiness, Head Start, Pathway II, and Title One funds are used for these local scholarships.
To apply for District Scholarships, request a scholarship application when registering for Preschool or download from the link 2019-20 Preschool scholarship form. Complete the application, enclose income verification and return to a Community Education office or mail to School Readiness 137 Banks Blvd. Silver Bay, MN 55614.
Option 3: Head Start
Children enrolled via Head Start must be Income eligible. Head Start: 218-834-8221, ext 8449. To apply, call 1-800-662-5711 or 218-749-2912. Tuition is fully funded for Head Start eligible students.
EARLY CHILDHOOD INITIATIVE
Silver Bay and Two Harbors communities are participating in the Northland Foundation’s Early Childhood Initiative. This initiative is a catalyst to rally broad-based community support for young children, ages 0-5 and their families. The coalition has representation of individuals throughout the community, including parents, representatives from early childhood care and education, K-12, business, state/local government, health and human services, and other concerned community members. This coalition is part of the Minnesota Early Childhood Initiative…A Campaign for Our Youngest Children directed by the Northland Foundation.